Monthly Archives: November 2015

Forage Sampling


Just like we do soil sampling to check pH and other basic plant needs, we need to think about hay sampling to check the quality of our hay. In one case where a cow has died, the veterinarian may want to check nitrates. Nitrates can be a problem especially when we end the season in a drought. This was something we worried about last season. So far, we have seen moderate nitrates this year, but not high. We’ve done a few samples the last three weeks. Here is one from yesterday. It’s time for me to have a picture since I take pictures of everything else. If it looks like I’m trying hard, I am. I may need to sharpen this probe.

Forage Lots

We want to pay attention to how we do our sample.  One of the first things I ask is where the hay is from. We want to make sure to take samples by “lots” of hay or silage. This is hay from the same cutting, field or stage of maturity. Most cattleman purchase hay, and it is more difficult to differentiate “lots” in these samples. We separate it as best we can, and not represent more than 200 tons of dry matter.

Sampling Equipment

Another important procedure is bale sampling. We need to get as much from the middle or core of the bale that we can. A hollow probe is best to use for this. I have a probe here in the office with a drill I can bring out to help sample. Here is a more detailed write up of Taking a Good Forage Sample.

Leave a comment

Filed under Forages

Sugarcane Aphids in Grain Sorghum

Seminole County Agent Rome Ethredge shared my poster on sugarcane aphids on his blog.

Seminole Crop E News

Sugarcane aphids have been a real problem in grain sorghum since they came in last year. Thomas county Agent, Andrew Sawyer had a good poster at a meeting this week and I will post it here. He found a beneficial wasp that is working to help us control the aphid and that’s good news.

Fullscreen capture 1152015 92853 AM

View original post

Leave a comment

Filed under Entomology, Grain Sorghum

Peanut Harvest Update

BostonPeanutCompany (2)

Much of our peanut crop has been dug and harvested at this point. I stopped by the buying point in Boston last week. Here are some peanuts ready to be graded. As expected, many growers had to wait for wagons at the beginning of harvest. Some peanuts stayed in the field up to 18 days. This caused some damage to pods and hurt grades some. There were some seg 2 peanuts resulting from burrower bug damage as well. Reports for burrower bug damage are overall not bad, and were more early on. As of now, grades are hanging around in the mid 70s and yields are okay.

Leave a comment

Filed under Peanuts